TICK TOCK

Re: TICK TOCK

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Posh wrote:It's a ridiculous analogy. Burnley have a history of playing in the Football League and at the highest levels. Morecambe have a history in the lower echelons of Northern non-league football. Consequently the family tradition of supporting Morecambe FC barely exists.

For pretty much 1974 to 1989 we were getting gates lower than Lancaster City and in the low hundreds with many seasons averaging under 300. That's a whole generation of people who bar a hardy few kept the club alive.

Since we entered into the Conference gates have risen consistently and our final season attracted more people to Christie Park than at any time since 1962. Our first season in the Football League was our highest ever cumulative attendance and by some margin. By my estimates we've got a hardcore of around 1,600 fans who'll turn out thick and thin, with probably another 700 who would attend at least five times a season guaranteed. The club's job and our job is to convert people up the levels and build the crowds. It doesn't happen over night its a long-drawn out process to change habits and life-long allegiances but it is happening.

If only I'd though about writing something very similar to that!!! :roll: 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Posh wrote:
It's a ridiculous analogy. Burnley have a history of playing in the Football League and at the highest levels. Morecambe have a history in the lower echelons of Northern non-league football. Consequently the family tradition of supporting Morecambe FC barely exists.

For pretty much 1974 to 1989 we were getting gates lower than Lancaster City and in the low hundreds with many seasons averaging under 300. That's a whole generation of people who bar a hardy few kept the club alive.

Since we entered into the Conference gates have risen consistently and our final season attracted more people to Christie Park than at any time since 1962. Our first season in the Football League was our highest ever cumulative attendance and by some margin. By my estimates we've got a hardcore of around 1,600 fans who'll turn out thick and thin, with probably another 700 who would attend at least five times a season guaranteed. The club's job and our job is to convert people up the levels and build the crowds. It doesn't happen over night its a long-drawn out process to change habits and life-long allegiances but it is happening.

Well said Posh. I see us more akin to Wigan - slowly building reputation and attendances through improved results in an area where isn't much of a local football tradition.
campdave

Postby bigreddog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm

What's the big deal anyway?

"Morecambe in for long hard season in football league" shock horror!!

We've been spoilt in our first two seasons. If you'd told me we'd stay up by the skin of our teeth in either the first two seasons I would have bitten your arm off. Maybe it's going to be tough this season, so what. Neither the players, staff, management or fans have the luxury of feeling sorry for ourselves. Yes we're shipping goals, and yes it was beyond an embarrassment at Burton, but everyone knows that, nobody is pretending it's all great. merely that we've got to get a grip defensively (that's the whole team by the way) and collectively do better than we've shown. But when I say collectively I mean us fans too. 3 games in (plus the carling cup) and it hasn't been brilliant. No room for panic though, and I personaly believe Samm's summer signings are significantly better than last term. Patience is a virtue and anyway I'm just relieved I don't have to watch anymore bloody cricket.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby sandgrown » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:39 pm

parceldave wrote:
Crooky MFC wrote:IT'S 3 GAMES FFS !!!

And we' ve probably let in more goals already than some teams will do all season. BUT hey we havn't give the team time to settle yet. :evil: . I wonder what Dagenham are gonna do when they get settled . :roll:

interestingly, D&R manage off lower average gates than us, but I read in the press that manager Still has raided the non league sides this time.

I remember when we had any good players they would be poached by league clubs, so why don't we do the same now, there must be some good players out there dying to play in the FL.
sandgrown

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:57 pm

I think the Daggers southern location is a massive help to them. The conference league is very southern based these days. Most of, if not all of the Premier non-league clubs are from the south. We've already raided Southport and Northwich over the last couple of seasons with mixed results.
RedRedWine1

Postby sandgrown » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:13 pm

the one CB pair I would like to see is Haining and McStay, they both have good pace and are good in the air, and it's probably the only one Sammy hasn't tried.
sandgrown

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:35 pm

sandgrown wrote:the one CB pair I would like to see is Haining and McStay, they both have good pace and are good in the air, and it's probably the only one Sammy hasn't tried.

that's who I'd go with on Saturday IF Jimbo is still out. Otherwise it'd be McStay for Moss
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Previous

Return to General Discussion