Homophobic Chanting

Homophobic Chanting

Postby Aal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 am

There was a report out the other day suggesting that homophobia is rife in football. Why so i wonder? Opinions folks??

For many years I have disliked the chant 'Do you take it up the a*$%? (Insert name of opposition player/manager/official)' which seems to get rolled out from the North Stand every game. Tough one to explain the significance of to my 10 year old son.

However this chant sank to a new low the other night at Deepdale with the names of Alan Kelly (Preston legend, recently died) and Sir Tom Finney being inserted. The 5-1 result and this occasional chant during the second half left me rather cross.

Surely we can come up with some better and frankly more positive supportive chants.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Re: Homophobic Chanting

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:53 am

Totally agree, the type of chanting you are talking about does nothing to spur the team on

And when you are getting dished 4 or 5 nil, sounds sad and embarassing :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby The Fury » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 am

Homophobic and racing chanting used to be prevalent on the terraces. It's rather odd that the football authorities have made a real effort in implementing the no racism policy to the point that, rightly so, that it is unacceptable to make racist comments or chants without the consequence of a life-time ban for the perpetrator. Strange then that no similar effort has been made with regard to homophobia. Interestingly, only one professional footballer has ever 'come out' which may perhaps say something for the fear of a footballer admitting his sexual preference.
The Fury

Postby Harry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

The only 'take it up the arse' song I heard was directed towards a young fellow on the Preston fans' side of the Bill Shankley Kop, presumably a contemporary of those chanting it.
Harry

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 am

Harry wrote:The only 'take it up the arse' song I heard was directed towards a young fellow on the Preston fans' side of the Bill Shankley Kop, presumably a contemporary of those chanting it.

that too was the only one I could hear
heysham_mfc

Postby Posh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 pm

I think you misunderstand what I agree is a poor song. It is in fact a pro-gay homoerotic song. Firstly there is the invitation to a potential sexual partner - 'do you...' because obviously those singing it do themselves.

Then there's the come on in case of potential rejection. 'It [the penis of the singer] only weighs a quarter of a pound' or about three ounces. Given the average normal eight inch penis weighs just 2oz this a clever play with words and promises to be in fact quite a significant member. The phrase 'I've got a MacDonald' or a quarter-pounder is a common term on the cottaging scene (see Wikipedia).

Next the hair reference alludes to the singer being a 'bear' http://www.funfur.tv. The singer believes that by alluding to being a bit hairy it might appeal to any potentially gay yet 'macho' manager.

As for the last line its pretty obvious and cements the homoerotic sexual intent of the singers.

Given the only good bit the middle 'do you' it is easy to see why so many young naive possibly even hetrosexual North Standers have been dragged into singing this song by large shaven headed moustachioed men in tight t-shirts hanging around them and encouraging them to drink alcohol in local pubs, possibly to subjugate them to their own way of thinking.

:roll:
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Posh wrote: 'It [the penis of the singer] only weighs a quarter of a pound' or about three ounces. Given the average normal eight inch penis weighs just 2oz

:shock: I shall never eat a quarter pounder again :lol:

OK how the hell do you weigh your todger, when it's attached? Surely you lose an ounce or two somewhere :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:13 pm

It was, as I recall, thought up on a trip down to Woking. It was first sung to Lawrence Batty, who almost fell over laughing. If it had stopped there it would have been an excellent one off song. It is now extremely tired in my opinion and I stopped joining in many years ago. It can't actually be called homophobic for the reasons Posh so eloquently demonstrated. It is a bit too boring now.

In the broader sense of the discussion, I would agree that homophobia should have been challenged by the FA. While accurate stats remain open to debate, most studies would accept that approximately 6% to 10% of the male population are homosexual. This would suggest that two gay men are playing in every football match. That these men feel unable to freely express their sexuality should be challenged in the 21st century.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Curly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Posh wrote:I think you misunderstand what I agree is a poor song. It is in fact a pro-gay homoerotic song. Firstly there is the invitation to a potential sexual partner - 'do you...' because obviously those singing it do themselves.

Then there's the come on in case of potential rejection. 'It [the penis of the singer] only weighs a quarter of a pound' or about three ounces. Given the average normal eight inch penis weighs just 2oz this a clever play with words and promises to be in fact quite a significant member. The phrase 'I've got a MacDonald' or a quarter-pounder is a common term on the cottaging scene (see Wikipedia).

Next the hair reference alludes to the singer being a 'bear' http://www.funfur.tv. The singer believes that by alluding to being a bit hairy it might appeal to any potentially gay yet 'macho' manager.

As for the last line its pretty obvious and cements the homoerotic sexual intent of the singers.

Given the only good bit the middle 'do you' it is easy to see why so many young naive possibly even hetrosexual North Standers have been dragged into singing this song by large shaven headed moustachioed men in tight t-shirts hanging around them and encouraging them to drink alcohol in local pubs, possibly to subjugate them to their own way of thinking.

:roll:

There are sixteen ounces in a pound and twenty fluid ounces in a pint,
Therefore the quarter pound phallus would weigh four ounces, not the three you quoted.
Imperially yours,
Lord Curlus of Smug.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Aspers » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 am

Quite so Lord Curlus however did you take into account the leakage factor?. :roll:
Aspers

Postby Lic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:45 pm

[quote][quote="The Fury"]Homophobic and racing chanting used to be prevalent on the terraces. It's rather odd that the football authorities have made a real effort in implementing the no racism policy to the point that, rightly so, that it is unacceptable to make racist comments or chants without the consequence of a life-time ban for the perpetrator. Strange then that no similar effort has been made with regard to homophobia. Interestingly, only one professional footballer has ever 'come out' which may perhaps say something for the fear of a footballer admitting his sexual preference.[/

Equality legislation in the UK now covers 6 areas: race, gender, religion, sexuality, age and disability. The football authorities should be taking steps to ensure that discrimination of any kind doesn't occur, not just focusing on racism or homophobia, and we all have a responsibility to do the same. Basically the ethos should be one of respecting others, which is presumably why there is an announcement at Christie Park before every game asking that others are respected...what a sad reflection on some fans that this announcement is usually booed.
Lic

Return to General Discussion