New Westgate ground pics

New Westgate ground pics

Postby Mike W. » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 am

Just to advise that the latest pics from Wednesday are now on the new ground web site at http://www.morecambestadium.com - showing work now in progress on 3 stands, plus other areas.

The West Stand does look better than some suggested, now that the concrete terrace sections are in place. There are around 16 steps rather than the 9 some had suggested, when they counted the lugs on the steel, so that the capacity will be better than thought - with the lower roof the noise should be good.

The Main Stand looks huge, now that we can see the full width and height of it.

Any minute now they will be laying carpetting in the lobby !

To help to judge scale, we have left one of us in shot on a few pics., as requested.

Mike W

Ian L

:shock:
Mike W.

Re: New Westgate ground pics

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 am

Great pics, thanks guys.

Pity it wasn't a Stargate "gate" ;)
morecambe mick

Postby Mighty Red » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:35 am

West stand looking good.

Main stand looking good.

Sewer sections looking OK.

Great pics, thanks.
Mighty Red

Postby forces shrimp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am

The only thing that puzzles me and forgive my daftness is the concreate bays at the bootom of the west stand in clip 40. Can any on shed any light on them for me? Cheers
forces shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 am

Mike W. wrote:Just to advise that the latest pics from Wednesday are now on the new ground web site at http://www.morecambestadium.com - showing work now in progress on 3 stands, plus other areas.

The West Stand does look better than some suggested, now that the concrete terrace sections are in place. There are around 16 steps rather than the 9 some had suggested, when they counted the lugs on the steel, so that the capacity will be better than thought - with the lower roof the noise should be good.

The Main Stand looks huge, now that we can see the full width and height of it.

Any minute now they will be laying carpetting in the lobby !

To help to judge scale, we have left one of us in shot on a few pics., as requested.

Mike W

Ian L

:shock:

Another excellent selection from Mike's Box Brownie (with apology to Canon!)

Good to see that my prediction of 16 terraced steps was correct. ;)

Pic 30 shows where the 2 rows of crash barriers will be placed.

However it will be interesting to see how fans will gain access to the stand as Pic 32 shows Ian standing at ground level with the stand retaining wall behind him. I can only think that there will be another set of steps placed at ground level for fans to gain access.

I've a feeling that the atmosphere generated in the stand particularly with the lower roof than the current North Stand will be brilliant. :D

The sheer size of the Main Stand is impressive and now that one of the floors has had a layer of concrete installed, it gives a true idea of the internal space. :o

Pic 40 shows a disabled area. There is a second one to the left of the stand as you look at it face on.

Well done Mike. Already looking forward to next weeks update. :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 am

forces shrimp wrote:The only thing that puzzles me and forgive my daftness is the concreate bays at the bootom of the west stand in clip 40. Can any on shed any light on them for me? Cheers

Pic 40 is a disabled supporters area. One of many throughout the stadium.
Christies Child

Postby forces shrimp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 am

ah got ya, very well planned as well not like there gonna get crushed behind that when the mighty shrimps faithful cheer on the boys. love it!!!
forces shrimp

Postby drinkduffbeers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Like the extra deep final terraced step
drinkduffbeers

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Bit confused about the Community Block. What is it? Is it a mini stand in the middle of the open terrace? What is it going to be used for? Will it have the scoreboard and TV cameras mounted on the top.

As for the home end - it will be smaller than what we have got but with a bigger main stand and no terracing on board it was hard to judge it's scale on the first pictures.
Wild Bill

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Bit confused about the Community Block. What is it? Is it a mini stand in the middle of the open terrace? What is it going to be used for? Will it have the scoreboard and TV cameras mounted on the top.

As for the home end - it will be smaller than what we have got but with a bigger main stand and no terracing on board it was hard to judge it's scale on the first pictures.

community block will have gym and changing facilities for the training pitches, hockey pitch etc etc
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:Bit confused about the Community Block. What is it? Is it a mini stand in the middle of the open terrace? What is it going to be used for? Will it have the scoreboard and TV cameras mounted on the top.

community block will have gym and changing facilities for the training pitches, hockey pitch etc etc

So it won't be part of the actual stadium? Is that going to be the gym the players use too? Looks kind of small? :?
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm

The Community Block is an integal part of the stadium. Providing a further revenue stream but also a welcome addition for the use by the wider community.

My interpretation of the plan is as follows but I could be wrong.... :?:

It is situated in the far right hand corner adjacent to the away end. It streches roughly a fifth of the length of the pitch and provides aproximately 5 rows of terracing in front of half of the structure. The terracing then continues to the full length of the pitch, with a small unterraced area in the middle which will house the entrances and the TV gantry.

However IF and WHEN this terracing is extended in depth and a cover placed over it, it will affect the viewing of those close to the side of the Community Block as the depth of any extended terracing may well be equal to the depth of the Community block. In other words it will restrict viewing of the corner of the field between the away end and the Community Block

The plans provide visual details of this and can be found on the main site.

As the Community Block will provide additional revenue, it is preferable to a fully covered stand that will only have limited spectator use; but going forward any further stand development in that area
would appear to have potential viewing problems.
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Morecambe Stadium Website

Stadium website:

"community changing building (block) will house a gymnasium, suitable for boxing, workout and aerobic exercising. Membership arrangements will be available for all the facilities."

Looking at the plans the structure appears to adjoin what will become the new carwash terrace. Will the building also house the please control room? If not, where will this be going?

In the facilities section it mentions that another gymnasium will be housed under the main stand. I assume this will be larger, given the size of the main stand structure and hence what the players will be using.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 pm

The community block will be used, as has been said, as the changing block, with gym etc, for the new pitches that can be hired out to the public. I suspect it will also be used for any partnerships the club has with, for instance, the health authority who might want to run fitness, therapy or healthy living sessions there.

It is also big enough to accommodate a boxing ring and can cater for small sports or other functions - self-contained but looking out onto the stadium and pitch.

The players' gym is in the main stand along with manager's office, medical room and other team facilities for home and visiting teams. The police control room is in the main stand as well.

If you click on the main stand plans on the stadium website, you can right click and zoom in on them to see the room layouts (though I understand there have been some minor modifications to those recently).

The home end WILL be smaller than we have presently (we've known that for a while) but it's still big enough to hold our entire normal average home gate and can accommodate 845 more fans than the away end at full capacity.

I think there will be some migration of people who currently stand in the North Stand to the main stand at the new stadium. They'll want to take advantage of the new bar and meal facilities there.

But the home stand at the new stadium will still be able to hold 2,000+ and will, if it is fuller and more compact, give a great atmosphere with, I reckon, better acoustics.
Last edited by shrimper on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Weetabix Kid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm

First three home games I might spend one in each stand and see what I prefer :lol:
Weetabix Kid

Postby Mike W. » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Just to offer comments on what has been said.

The new West Stand IS smaller than the Christie North Stand, but is actually only around 5 steps smaller. The effect is worsened becaise the roof is lower anyway, though that will make the noise terrific (assuming we can depend on the fans to make a lot of noise, of course). The ground level at the front of the West Stand will be a bit higher than it is as yet, as it was dug out to build the front foundation wall. At the front of the Main Stand they are filling a similar low strip, and there will be a walk way there. I think the same will apply at the front of the West Stand, allowing wheel chair fans to reach the bays to be used by them quite easily on the flat, and fully able fans to get to the stand bottom step.

But to me, the main reason the West Stand looks a bit less than some expected is that it is slap bang next to the new Main Stand, which is miles bigger than anything that we have had before. If you stuck Christie's North Stand next to the Westgate Main Stand, the North Stand would not look as great as it does at Christie. Now we can see the full height and length of the Main Stand, it looks very good. The BIG impression is the one you get when approaching up Christie Way from Westgate, which takes my breath away even though I have now done that walk several times. Cover the thing in proper cladding, glass and so on, and put up a big club crest, and it will look good, and it will be one of the biggest buildings (not of course THE biggest) in the town.

The Community Block doesn't look much yet because it is way out in the middle of nothing as yet. It is actually quite large. I don't know yet where the gym will be but the four potential areas in the Block are all capable of accommodating a good size gym, the potential uses of which are many, plus office and other rooms.

Mike W.
Mike W.

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm

....from high up in the main stand, the views over the Bay and in particular sunsets should be tremendous.

On the very odd occassion that the football is crap, at least the views will be worth the while.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

great pic thanks guys :D anyway from these picutures you can get a real feel of what the ground is going to be like the main stand looks very impressive which is great because it will be one of the first things that people will see when driving or walking up Christie Way. The home stand as we can now see is better than it looked from early pictures yes it is smaller but it will be better in that it will look fuller and create a better support for the team will can only be a good thing. Not seen much of the community block as only had a quick look when passing and from the pictures on the website but it should be great when finised and make a bit more extra cash for the cub. Overall we are making good progress and when it is finished at should be fantastic!
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Most days i drive past the new stadium and that along with the photos that have been posted on here site have up until today been the only views i have had.

This Morning i had a walk to the ground and had a look around, i would just like to say to anyone who has doubts about the new ground to go down and take a look.

If you walk down the passage between the estate and the church then you will be behind what will be the away end. It really does give you a different perspective on the overall build, yes the home end is smaller but it doesnt look out of place and as has been mentioned the atmosphere should be better also the gap between the main stand and the terracing behind the goals is much smaller which not only looks better but again should add to the atmosphere.

The main stand does look very impressive, it really is worth making the effort to go down and see it for yourself you wont be dissapointed.
steve mfc

Postby ezz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm

The main stand looks immense, I can see a lot of people moving to there come next season. Also being a new stadium, a lower roof in the West Stand behind the goals and a shorter distance between that and the main stand may improve the overall atmosphere in both stands? Especially if some of the singers move to the main stand.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion