THE BIG TRANSFER THREAD: errupted more than Eyjafjallajökull

Re: 'I can't believe it's on page 2' transfer speculation thread

Postby Posh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:25 pm

One of our target players (according to Curly anyway) has gone to Shrewsbury.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/201 ... bury-town/
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Re: THE transfer speculation thread - on page 1 where it belongs

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Dave Artell to sign for Crewe Alexandra after not agreeing a new contract with Morecambe. Thats according to Radio Lancashire at 1-30 today.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Re: 'I can't believe it's on page 2' transfer speculation thread

Postby Curly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Posh wrote:One of our target players (according to Curly anyway) has gone to Shrewsbury.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/201 ... bury-town/

Just what i heard... Ah well, you can't win 'em all.

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Dave Artell to sign for Crewe Alexandra after not agreeing a new contract with Morecambe. Thats according to Radio Lancashire at 1-30 today.

If thats true, i'm a bit disappointed, but then who knows who's on the clubs radar,
Well not Sharps anyway :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby marky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:33 pm

If the news about Artell is true then I'm pretty pleased as it means we really are serious about challenging next season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:00 pm

marky wrote:If the news about Artell is true then I'm pretty pleased as it means we really are serious about challenging next season.

i know what your saying, but i dont want to see wholesale changes it would be bad on team spirit, we shouldn't forget that we've just had a very good season and just missed out by a couple of wins of playing L1 football

id say just 3 more quality players with the squad we've got for a serious challange a center forward(or two) and a center-half should be our priority now
George Dawes

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:06 pm

TBH I don't think the Scott signing is inspiring at all. 30, probably slow and not really a sign of the quality we should be buying.
Jack

Postby Posh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:09 pm

marky wrote:If the news about Artell is true then I'm pretty pleased as it means we really are serious about challenging next season.

So one of the most intelligent players in the side goes who delivered 8 goals last season from central defence and you're pleased? Arts watches other sides and regularly passes on information about opposition keepers - Chester, Crewe and a few other examples come to mind. Last ever goal at Christie Park, 4th against Crewe, 2 at Shrewsbury to get us to the playoffs, winner at Preston North End in the Carling Cup, last minute winner away at Macc etc.

I'm sorry he's going because he's been brilliant for us and for the dressing room, and would have been an excellent squad player next season. If he's replaced by another 30 plus player then it will be no progress at all.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Posh wrote:So one of the most intelligent players in the side goes who delivered 8 goals last season from central defence and you're pleased?

Yes, because for all his intelligence he was very limited as a player, made more than his fair share of mistakes and was rather too quick to play hoofball. Artell to me represents our first 3 seasons in the football league perfectly. Good enough to keep us in the league, good enough to keep is nicely in mid table and good enough to be part of a team spirit that pushed us in to the play offs. Sadly, however, not good enough to truly make the next leap into a realistic sustained promotion challenge. A defender is there to defend so the number of goals he scored is immaterial. The reason I'm pleased is because my educated guess is he's turned us down because we couldn't guarantee him first team football. That suggests we have a better player in mind. It could be that it is Scott, in which case, despite my reserved judgement, I know which one I'd prefer...
marky

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:55 pm

If this is true about Artell then i for one will be very dissapointed, i think he is a very good defender at this level, his passing isn't the best but he more than makes up for that with his defending and without his goals we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Its probably only after he has gone that his abilities will be missed and appreciated.
steve mfc

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Have to say that I'm not that too concerned. We've Parrish who impressed v Daggers at home; Will who is a class act and the new lad Scott plus Jimbo.

As for Scotty; just hope he lives up to the reputation of his namesake who played for us in the early 60's.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Arts departure not yet been confirmed on the website and interestingly wasn't repeated on Radio Lanc's 6 oclock sports hour.

Now Henry McStay has departed and with Haining's future in doubt maybe Sammy has had second thoughts about releasing him.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:43 pm

steve mfc wrote:If this is true about Artell then i for one will be very dissapointed, i think he is a very good defender at this level

Perhaps Sammy is going to be very busy now signing BETTER players to get us out of 'this level'

Artell gone...we can't get a worse player in central defence, despite his goals tally at the end of last season.

McStay gone...he didn't get much of a chance so we can easily get a replacement for another central defender to sit on the bench.

Davies gone...another bench warmer.

Twiss, Adams, Taylor, Curtis, McClachers etc gone...all dead wood after providing great service and mostly bench warmers.

Scott in...better than Artell? Probably

Rundle in...better than Twiss? Perhaps - maybe, depends on which Twiss turned up

So get busy Sammy...we can't field a Reserve team at the moment 'cos you have booted them all.
Caged Lion

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Sick of hearing all this 30 plus rubbish...mullin is 34 and never stops running and working ... for me a shining example to the so called past it over 30s club lol lol onwards and upwards whatever the age
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby darrenlock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Hello

Artell is a very good player and i think only reason why the rumour of him going would be because now football players know what Morecambe can do in League2.

I hope the rumour about Will Hainning is not true.

In my opinion keep Haining why who is he linked with , and i think Morecambe need 1 center forward and another midfield player to be a top3 team.

Come on Morecambe keep it tight away from home hope the overall attendance at the Globe is more than 2.200.

I got my season ticket :D
darrenlock

Postby james456 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Hopefully Haining isn't going anywhere. Nowhere has he said he's not happy here and he has another year on his contract - so another club would have to pay a transfer fee if they wanted him.

I'm fairly happy with how the defence is shaping up...

Wilson is the obvious choice for left back. Haining when on form is, IMO, league 1 quality. Then you have Scott/Parrish/Bentley partnering him and Parrish/Moss at right back. Ideally, you'd perhaps have a little more pace in the centre of defence but I think it's a fairly strong backline with strength in depth.

One midfielder, a couple of strikers and we'll be set.
james456

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Haining has another year left on his contract, if somebody wants him they will have to pay a fee.

If the rumour is true about Artell, I for one would be sad to see the Moose go. He has been a very good addition to the squad since we gained promotion and I think he could still do a job for us next season. In his short time here he has scored some very important and memorable goals. Can't believe some of the criticism on here about him, though looking at the culprits I shouldn't be that surprised.

There seems to be a sense of change in the air, so far a decent number of players have already left with a bunch of newbie's on the way. I hope this won't have an adverse effect on the excellent team spirit that was quite clear for all to see last season.
RedRedWine1

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Sick of hearing all this 30 plus rubbish...mullin is 34 and never stops running and working ... for me a shining example to the so called past it over 30s club lol lol onwards and upwards whatever the age

True...but he has no pace, so his running has to be smart. Is he still under contract?

We need a young gunslinger with loads of energy to get around the pitch like a freshly castrated bullock.
Caged Lion

Postby marky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I hope this won't have an adverse effect on the excellent team spirit that was quite clear for all to see last season.

Why would it? The important contributors of that team spirit are still at the club but everything has to come to an end. Football teams constantly evolve and have to, otherwise they would stagnate very quickly. Team spirit, the family, whatever you want to call it, will only get you so far. To inch ourselves closer to League 1, a division our chairman is very clear about wanting to be in, we need to inject that little bit of extra quality. Now, I wouldn't mind if Artell did sign for another season. Every team needs its bench warmers and occasional starters in times of injury and suspension. Equally, however, I'd be utterly fine with him joining another club. Will Haining, on the other hand...
marky

Postby ockers » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

my good friend at Bury football club tells me paul is a top banana a great lad well respected there
kept andy parrish out of the side for a long time and is a great player to have on board and he thinks he will do well for us
id have though then that scotty will be at right back and pazza moving to centre defence with will haining and laurence at left back?

the way i see it that means

Roche
Scott Parrish Haining Wilson

is how the defence is shaping up so far?????
ockers

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm

ockers wrote:my good friend at Bury football club tells me paul is a top banana a great lad well respected there
kept andy parrish out of the side for a long time and is a great player to have on board and he thinks he will do well for us
id have though then that scotty will be at right back and pazza moving to centre defence with will haining and laurence at left back?

the way i see it that means

Roche
Scott Parrish Haining Wilson

is how the defence is shaping up so far?????

Wasn't the fact that he didn't relish that role that lead to him being out of the Bury team? I fancy he's more accomplished as a centre half.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 pm

There is some utter crap posted on this forum at times, the criticism of Artell is beyond belief, If he was that bad how come he played 35 league games this season, if im wrong about Artell then so is Sammy. He was in my opinion one of our most consistent players.

Of course the team can always be improved but to rubbish a player who gave so much to the side is unfair to say the least.
steve mfc

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Artell got into the team because of injuries to Haining and Bentley. It doesn't show a great deal of commitment to the club if he doesn't want to accept the contract on offer.
Caged Lion

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 pm

Caged Lion wrote:Artell got into the team because of injuries to Haining and Bentley. It doesn't show a great deal of commitment to the club if he doesn't want to accept the contract on offer.

Artell was in the team on merit, do we know for sure that he turned down a contract, and even if he did how can we condemn him for not accepting it without knowing what was on offer.
steve mfc

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Dave Artell captained the team during our 7 match winning run which included 5 consecutive clean sheets so lets stop trashing him.

He also scored 8 goals which is no mean feat from defence especially when you consider that Rene Howe only scored 11 which included penalties.
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Totally agree Steve...if artell does leave he will be a big loss..an old fashioned centre half who can score goals...already Scott is getting slated and that's just for been 30 my god
Blackpool Shrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion