THE BIG TRANSFER THREAD: errupted more than Eyjafjallajökull

Re: THE transfer speculation thread - on page 1 where it belongs

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Steven Gerrard is 30 and nobody says he should be shunted off.

We need good players at Morecambe whatever age they are , not young players just for the sake of it.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Steven Gerrard is 30 and nobody says he should be shunted off.

We need good players at Morecambe whatever age they are , not young players just for the sake of it.

Don't think we could afford him :lol: :lol: :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Dave Artell captained the team during our 7 match winning run which included 5 consecutive clean sheets so lets stop trashing him.

He also scored 8 goals which is no mean feat from defence especially when you consider that Rene Howe only scored 11 which included penalties.

He also started to pass the ball out of defence during that period instead of hoofing it out of the stadium, maybe that helped us to retain possession more giving Jevons a chance to play football?

Cracking goals too, I often thought he would be better played up front, especially when we were so lightweight 2 seasons ago.
Caged Lion

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:46 pm

You can't be any good when you get to 30 just ask lee Hughes,Phil jevons and tony Roberts...roger milla scored for cameroon at the world cup aged 42 lol
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Posh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Totally agree Steve...if artell does leave he will be a big loss..an old fashioned centre half who can score goals...already Scott is getting slated and that's just for been 30 my god

Oh for god's sake! Simple point I'd rather invest in future talent who will develop and grow with Morecambe and could take and stay with us at a higher level - your Bakers, Thommos, Wilsons - than players coming in on a high wage with a couple of seasons to see out at this level before dropping down to the Conf. I quite like / liked Brannan, Sorvell, Mullin, Moss, Wainwright, Craney but all of them had / have seen their best somewhere else and had / have wandered over the hill. Sure they and players like Scott can do a job but is it the investment in developing talent - I think not. The over 30s comment was a simple if slightly unfair summary of that. Player budgets are getting slashed. You can invest in a clutch of highly paid dependales who will guarantee you safety and possibly a shot at promotion or you can invest in a lot of younger potential at lower wages and hope it comes off - like John Still and Eddie Howe have done. We'll only see when we find out who we sign what strategy we prefer.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Loyalsupporter » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 pm

This one isn't speculation

Henry McStay released / let go

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDet ... 04,00.html
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby Ntini » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 am

I think people are getting a tad carried away with the alleged 'slating' of Artell. He was a player who did a good job for us, but he was out of contract and hasn't signed a new deal. He was second choice to Haining and Bentley, however when he came in he staked a claim for a starting role and did ok. I appreciate he had a decent enough season and chipped in with a few goals, but we have to look forward.

He hasn't signed on for presumably another year. For me you then have to look to bring someone in better than him who could play at the next level up, and I believe we have done that in Paul Scott. I believe we have a defence good enough for this league and just need to tighten up and not give the ball away cheaply when we push forwards.

Dave Artell has been a great player for the club and we thank him for that. But he's not going to be here next season and so we have to move on!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Weetabix Kid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 am

Maybe we should wait for definate clarification on the Moose first?

I hope he stays personally
Weetabix Kid

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:56 am

Moss is 29 Posh. If anything, he should be at his best for us now.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby shrimper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

IF Arts goes it may be something as simple as another club offering him two years when we only offered one.

If it is Crewe it also makes sense for him geographically, being at Uni at Chester (even if they've only offered him the same terms and one year you could still see the point in that, depending on what he's been told about his likely role next season).

And that's no criticism of our club - moving to the new ground and the potential for more income means we may be in a very different position when we look at the squad in a year's time so one-year deals right now (with one or two exceptions) make sense.

IF Arts goes he certainly goes with my best wishes for a job well done, whenever he pulled on the shirt.

But players, as well as clubs, move on and that's fine.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Loyalsupporter wrote:This one isn't speculation

Henry McStay released / let go

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDet ... 04,00.html

Goodbye Henry. Showed a lot of promise but couldn't quite step up.

Has re-joined Portadown, which perhaps shows the scale of his ambitions.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/FOOTB ... 6359865.jp

Smoking move!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Duffman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Duffman

Postby Posh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:Moss is 29 Posh. If anything, he should be at his best for us now.

I've spoken to Darren Moss and really like him and we've got a lot to thank him for his wonder goal against Dagenham.

I'd love to have seen him have a fantastic season with us. The reality of course though is entirely different. The 'facts' are these. He was a great player at Shrewsbury but they obviously thought they needed better and offered him a new contract that was worse than his existing one. He rejected that and we, having been turned down by our first and second choice right backs, signed him at fairly short notice and, presumably, without any prior scouting.

We then began our season with the 5-3-2 that served us well. However this system relied on wing-backs and it was soon pretty evident that Mossy wasn't suited to that formation, worse still he was thrown into it with little pre-season training. He took the blame and sat most of the season out before injury brought him back in to play in his natural position (and sometimes at left back too). I thought he was very professional about it and did OK. And, given more pitch time, he could do a job for us this season. However we've signed Paul Scott who will inevitably play right back.

My argument would be that we signed a seasoned pro like Darren Moss on good wages with no real view as to whether he would fit into a Morecambe side, no sell on possibilities and had cover with Hunter, Parrish, McStay and as a wing-back Wainwright so why sign him? Surely better to find two young players from the lower leagues on half the wages to act as cover in the squad and to develop. Of course this is with hindsight but it its been a bit frustrating to see.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Two-year deal and we'd have only offered him one, as per last season, and closer to home. Easy choice.

Sorry to see him go. Top man, 9 goals in a season and, as stand-in captain and player, five clean sheets and seven wins on the bounce during the season plus all the rest above. It'll be interesting to see who we sign as a replacement.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby thegentlegiant » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Posh wrote:

Two-year deal and we'd have only offered him one, as per last season, and closer to home. Easy choice.

Sorry to see him go. Top man, 9 goals in a season and, as stand-in captain and player, five clean sheets and seven wins on the bounce during the season plus all the rest above. It'll be interesting to see who we sign as a replacement.

just seen the news on BBC to,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crewe_alexandra/8741636.stm

good luck to him!
thegentlegiant

Postby Ntini » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Looking into things more, it would appear that Paul Scott will play as a holding midfield player, not a defender (presumably why we let Fraser go and probably won't sign Manny Panther). That said, I'd have thought there will be more signings in a defensive context. Adams, Artell and McStay have now gone so there is sure to be another player to fill the gap left in the squad (as we only have 5 recognised defenders). Surely we can't just sign 'squad' players and therefore should be looking at someone better who can play at a higher level should we progress?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, could it be that Stanley and Scott will play in the centre of midfield, and Drummond fill in as a central defender to give us some extra height and experience?

-------------------ROCHE------------------

PARRISH----DRUMMOND/--HAINING---WILSON
---------------BENTLEY-----------------------

DUFFY--------SCOTT------STANLEY---RUNDLE

-------A.N.OTHER-------JEVONS-----------

BENCH: MOSS, DRUMMOND/BENTLEY, HUNTER, WAINWIRGHT, MULLIN (Plus any additions or those who become 'squad players')

...just a thought!!! :lol:
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby darrenlock » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Why give Gary Hunter a new 2 year contract to get him to sit on bench and same goes with Neil.

Me i think Morecambe need another center back and a center forward we have a good young center forward in reserve team get him to replace aaron taylor role on bench.

I got a feeling we are going to sign another 3-4 more players in summer
darrenlock

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Posh wrote:
MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:Moss is 29 Posh. If anything, he should be at his best for us now.

I've spoken to Darren Moss and really like him and we've got a lot to thank him for his wonder goal against Dagenham.

I'd love to have seen him have a fantastic season with us. The reality of course though is entirely different. The 'facts' are these. He was a great player at Shrewsbury but they obviously thought they needed better and offered him a new contract that was worse than his existing one. He rejected that and we, having been turned down by our first and second choice right backs, signed him at fairly short notice and, presumably, without any prior scouting.

We then began our season with the 5-3-2 that served us well. However this system relied on wing-backs and it was soon pretty evident that Mossy wasn't suited to that formation, worse still he was thrown into it with little pre-season training. He took the blame and sat most of the season out before injury brought him back in to play in his natural position (and sometimes at left back too). I thought he was very professional about it and did OK. And, given more pitch time, he could do a job for us this season. However we've signed Paul Scott who will inevitably play right back.

My argument would be that we signed a seasoned pro like Darren Moss on good wages with no real view as to whether he would fit into a Morecambe side, no sell on possibilities and had cover with Hunter, Parrish, McStay and as a wing-back Wainwright so why sign him? Surely better to find two young players from the lower leagues on half the wages to act as cover in the squad and to develop. Of course this is with hindsight but it its been a bit frustrating to see.

Bury fans reckon his best position is in the centre of defence, stating that when played at right back he was short of pace and often got the run around from speedy wingers.

I'd like to see Moss given the first crack as an orthodox right back.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby james456 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Posh wrote:

Bury fans reckon his best position is in the centre of defence, stating that when played at right back he was short of pace and often got the run around from speedy wingers.

I'd like to see Moss given the first crack as an orthodox right back.

This. If you read the comments, it seems Scott has not been at his best since playing at centre back so I can sort of see Scott as a direct replacement for Moose. But perhaps even Sammy doesn't know for sure where he will play.
james456

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:39 pm

But perhaps even Sammy doesn't know for sure where he will play

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby parceldave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Bury fans reckon his best position is in the centre of defence, stating that when played at right back he was short of pace and .

Hmm, so our biggest problem last season was lack of pace , so lets sign 2 more players who are short of pace , especially a winger. :? :roll:
parceldave

Postby darrenlock » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Good Artell has left Morecambe we now have a natural center back at Morecambe and can also play in midfield.
darrenlock

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 pm

1 down 2 to go plus Jevons
heysham_mfc

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:09 pm

heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:54 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:2 interesting rumours here ;)
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... 7/?ref=rss

They take Wayne as a replacement for 'targeted' Bishop.... :o :o :o

Somehow I can't see the Bishop deal happening...but Wayne to them :?: :?: :?:

Good move for Wayne if it comes off.

As for the Bluebird's Bond being looked at, he seems to be one of their better players which some suggest has good future ahead of him.

If he does come could be a case of another taking the next step like Carl and Duffy did.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion