**Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

**Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Postby The Bay » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Morecambe Football Club have today announced that the opening of the new Globe Arena has been delayed.

Brian Fagan, the Director who is overseeing the construction process for the Club explained the main contractor has advised that the planned opening date of 24th July will not now be achieved.

The pre-season friendlies against Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End and Manchester City will not now be played. The planned Open Weekend of 24th and 25th July is also postponed and details of alternative dates will be advised in due course.

Although the Club are very disappointed to receive the news, Mr Fagan was keen to point out that the whole project team has made every effort to achieve the objective of opening on the 24th July. “This project represents the biggest leisure and hospitality construction programme seen in Morecambe for a generation and it has understandably been a significant challenge to all involved”, he said.

However, the good news is that the Globe Arena will be ready for the start of the new season. The revised handover date will now be Friday 6th August and the first game to be played at the Globe Arena will be the Carling Cup match against Coventry City on Tuesday 10th August. The first League game at the Globe Arena will be against Rotherham United on Saturday 14th August.

Mr Fagan added: “Our apologies go to everyone who has been planning for the friendly games and we know that there will be huge disappointment that we cannot now stage them. It is important that everything is right when we do open for business and I’m sure everyone will understand and recognise that the development is a magnificent achievement for the Club. The Globe Arena will deliver a great experience to all.”

New arrangements will be made for an official opening ceremony and details will be announced as soon as they are finalised.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Re: **Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

this means we only have 4 friendlies at present. if we want any "home" friendlies may have to switch them to another ground , Parkside or Giant Axe :o :o
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby bigreddog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

very disappointing for everybody involved, not least the players and the fans, who will now not have the chance to bed in to our new home, so we'll be as much strangers as the away sides at the start of the season.

the worst possible advert for Globe too.

good luck to all the lads working on the project in getting it ready for the new season, but excuse me if i dont hold my breath.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby scar » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Thats a bit of a blow. Released on the same day as Blackpool release news of their revised first home game due to stadium not being ready.

Pity about the home friendlies as well, many I know were looking forward to the Man City XI game, lets hope the players get used to the pitch and stadium real quick for the main season.
scar

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:57 pm

not good news at all :(
will there be some more away pre season games now then :?:
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 pm

There is a good chance that many people may wish to express their frustration at this news. May I please remind everyone to do so in a moderated and reasonable manner, that can be read by an eight year old without causing offence.

I would also ask that people avoid speculating as to why this happened or apportioning blame unless they can clearly back any comments up with FACT.

Thank you.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:10 pm

with the open day cancelled on the 24th when will us fans be able to pick up our new season tickets and where from
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby darrenlock » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Well if the stadium is delayed then it does not matter because of it does not mean Morecambe can't do pre season away games instead.

First home games vs Coventry lets all get behind the team and see them win
darrenlock

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Inevitable. Many have raised concerns about the progress and cost of the stadium only to be labelled a 'moaner'. I hope that the ground really does get handed over on the revised date. What a complete shambles, and people wonder why the project has run over budget? Well, actually they don't....they just keep regurgitating waffle about the lack of grants.
RedRedWine1

Postby Paul Mac » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Shock horror! But if you didn't see this coming then I have a Labrador with your name on it.
Did we not need to use the friendlies to gain the certain licences needed to host public events?
Beidh ár lá linn
Paul Mac

Postby halftimeresults » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Keith wrote:There is a good chance that many people may wish to express their frustration at this news. May I please remind everyone to do so in a moderated and reasonable manner, that can be read by an eight year old without causing offence. Thank you.

F*****G hell, what the f**K am I suppose to do now on the 25 of july?
this is a P*****G outrage,
Which P**** made this huge F*** up?
I am so P****d off right now, What a shower of *****
and Keith can stick his forum up his f****** a*** sideways
halftimeresults

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:22 pm

oh bugger
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby MfcChris » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Terrible. Maybe we will now lose the first 3 league games getting use to being a big club :|

We are a tinpot club on many levels. Always have been.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby poulton shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm

WOOF WOOF!!!!!!
poulton shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

No blame can be attached to [edit: see note re "facts" before apportioning blame/no blame]

It is of course even more frustrating that [edit: see note above] ...It's even more frustrating when the Chesterfield stadium that started AFTER ours has already been handed over.

Under normal circumstances when... [edit: see note above]

It will be interesting to hear if... [edit: see note above]

I can imagine that behind the scenes members of the Board are very annoyed not least our Chairman who collectively deserve much better!

Whatever brave faces to disguise annoyance or words of consulation are expressed, this is not the way we expected to start the next chapter in the life of Morecambe Football Club.

:(
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby halftimeresults » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Also Morecambe have lost out on alot of revenue from those three games that have be cancelled.

57 People online :o
Last edited by halftimeresults on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halftimeresults

Postby mfcbro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 pm

I like most fans am very disappointed.How far would we have been behind schedule if we hadnt had the exceptional weather of the last couple of months?Not to forget the lost revenue that Man City,Bolton and Preston would have fetched into the club.Lets hope we are ready for the Coventry game.
mfcbro

Postby halftimeresults » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:43 pm

halftimeresults

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Can the Coventry game be moved to the Ricoh so it gives them a bit more time? ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Christies Child wrote:No blame can be attached to [edit: see note re "facts" before apportioning blame/no blame]

It is of course even more frustrating that [edit: see note above] ...It's even more frustrating when the Chesterfield stadium that started AFTER ours has already been handed over.

Under normal circumstances when... [edit: see note above]

It will be interesting to hear if... [edit: see note above]

I can imagine that behind the scenes members of the Board are very annoyed not least our Chairman who collectively deserve much better!

Whatever brave faces to disguise annoyance or words of consulation are expressed, this is not the way we expected to start the next chapter in the life of Morecambe Football Club.

:(

Neil, if you (or anyone else) KNOWS why the delays occured and can PROVE it, then please feel free to post the reasons why one party or the other are to blame/blameless. Otherwise please read the following again...

s l o w l y & c a r e f u l l y...

Keith wrote:
I would also ask that people avoid speculating as to why this happened or apportioning blame unless they can clearly back any comments up with FACT.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

why as the announcement been left till now and how long have the construction company known about this delay....
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 pm

not that surprised...

[edit: If you know where the blame lies and can prove it, then you can re-post]
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:48 pm

mfcbro wrote:I like most fans am very disappointed.How far would we have been behind schedule if we hadnt had the exceptional weather of the last couple of months?

Or god forbid the club had delivered the project to budget, meaning that we'd be building four stands with four roofs. Makes you wonder.
RedRedWine1

Postby steve mfc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Disappointing maybe but hardly the end of the world, all that really matters is that its ready for the start of the season proper.

Also the opening game is now a real competitive game of football against a championship side in the Carling cup, that has to be better than a pre season friendly.

What would have been a good crowd anyway will now be significantly increased.
steve mfc

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 pm

wont there have to be a game before the coventry game to test the ground out...
Blackpool Shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion