O/T Memories of Morecambe Town thread !

Re: O/T Memories of Morecambe Town thread !

Postby stevanshrimp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 am

Dead right Shrimper. "Ted's Grill" was on the corner of Albert Road and "Blakey's Toy shop" was in between "Ted's Grill" and The Clarendon. Mr James Blakey sold his shop to Richard Lancaster when he retired.

"Ted's Grill" was run by the late Ted Blackburn and his son Roland run's the Fish and Chip shop next to The Palatine.[/quote]

On the opposite corner to Ted's was a cafe(where Creases is/was) don't know what it was called? I used to get sent for a jug of milky coffee.
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm

What was Bizzy Lizzy's ?? Or have I dreamt that ??!!

I'm fairly sure it was once what is now the Toby Carvery ?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby shrimper » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:What was Bizzy Lizzy's ?? Or have I dreamt that ??!!

I'm fairly sure it was once what is now the Toby Carvery ?

Yep - it was what the Shrimp was called in between it being called The Shrimp and.... erm.. The Shrimp.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Peter wrote:
Stewie wrote:I remember the little fairground behind the winter gardens , especially the one where you had to push balls into rotating clowns mouths! Or was that a dream?

Not a dream.
But the clowns heads went from side-to-side, like a group of Shrimps fans after a bad day at the office :lol:

I was brought up on the Winter Gardens fairground as my parents had stalls. I remember the helter skelter with the cocunut matting, Ashworths Bingo, Corbierre's dodgems and roller coaster, O'Connors ghost train and of course Lewis's Bingo! :o - the only venue that stayed open through the winter months. Remember 1966 well as "back home" was constantly played over the dodgems loudspeaker inbetween "Turn ya wheel, turn ya wheel!" :lol:

Great memories till the floods came anyway :(

bingo.jpg
:oops:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 pm

marky No.1 wrote:I was brought up on the Winter Gardens fairground as my parents had stalls. I remember the helter skelter with the cocunut matting, Ashworths Bingo, Corbierre's dodgems and roller coaster, O'Connors ghost train and of course Lewis's Bingo! :o - the only venue that stayed open through the winter months. Remember 1966 well as "back home" was constantly played over the dodgems loudspeaker inbetween "Turn ya wheel, turn ya wheel!" :lol:

bingo.jpg

Doubt it, Mark!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Home_(England_song)
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 pm

shrimper wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:I was brought up on the Winter Gardens fairground as my parents had stalls. I remember the helter skelter with the cocunut matting, Ashworths Bingo, Corbierre's dodgems and roller coaster, O'Connors ghost train and of course Lewis's Bingo! :o - the only venue that stayed open through the winter months. Remember 1966 well as "back home" was constantly played over the dodgems loudspeaker inbetween "Turn ya wheel, turn ya wheel!" :lol:

bingo.jpg

Doubt it, Mark!

"Back Home". sadly that usually refers to where the England team are when a World Cup tournament finishes ! The 1970 England team was probably a better team than the one which won the World Cup and if Gordon Banks hadn't gone down with food poisoning (conspiracy theory!) then we may have beaten the Germans and gone on to retain the trophy.
Dont' think the team did a song for 1966 but there was a song called "World Cup Willy" !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:14 pm

shrimper wrote:

bingo.jpg

Doubt it, Mark!

Doh! Doh! Doh! Well I was still there in 1970 :oops:
marky No.1

Postby Troy Trotter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:25 pm

;) fun city ;)
Did someone say there were shrimps out here.
Troy Trotter

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Troy Trotter wrote:;) fun city ;)

Ah yes, that thing that spun around very quickly that threw you off with the intention of breaking a limb and 'the world's steepest slide'.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Keith wrote:

Ah yes, that thing that spun around very quickly that threw you off with the intention of breaking a limb and 'the world's steepest slide'.

that spinning thing, it always stunk of sweaty feet
George Dawes

Postby Jack Poulton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Friday nights we started at the Kismet room in the Broadway then drove out to the Redwell at Arkholme and back to the Trapdoor. If we were still hungry then to the Galleon on Alexandra Road. Saturdays at the Beach Club, Heysham Head. No breathalysers then - a wonder we are still here to tell the tale.
Jack Poulton

Postby Troy Trotter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 pm

DawZi wrote:
Keith wrote:

that spinning thing, it always stunk of sweaty feet

I think it was called the joy wheel. :( no joy when you got spun off!!!!!!!
Troy Trotter

Postby chrisFFF » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:00 pm

kamikaze and i think the big one ? always scared stood at the top :lol:
chrisFFF

Postby Troy Trotter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 pm

chrisFFF wrote:kamikaze and i think the big one ? always scared stood at the top :lol:

the big one :!: easy :!: the kamikaze no way.
rolling barrel and whats the things called you had to run down up down up just behind
the barrel.
Troy Trotter

Postby chrisFFF » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:21 pm

the carnival parade along the prom . spent many an hour making rosettes out of toilet paper to dress the lorry for morecambe nomads fc ! remember shrimper putting a picture in the vis in looking back about 12 months ago :o
chrisFFF

Postby Troy Trotter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 pm

westminster stores lady called mrs nardone
Troy Trotter

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:00 am

chrisFFF wrote:the carnival parade along the prom . spent many an hour making rosettes out of toilet paper to dress the lorry for morecambe nomads fc ! remember shrimper putting a picture in the vis in looking back about 12 months ago :o

One of my old Primary School Teachers from Christ Church in Carnforth (around 1981/1982) was either responsible for setting up Morecambe Nomads or was running them at the time. A chap called Mr Lion.
Seasider9601

Postby stevanshrimp » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 am

chrisFFF wrote:the carnival parade along the prom .

Bring back the Carnival 8-) 8-) 8-)
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby Gnasher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:20 am

shrimper wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:
Peter wrote:Drinking underage in The Seahorse Bar. Where was that?

In The Midland ?? :o Never knew that.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/entertainme ... 6101137.jp

Our pub-crawl usually started in the Bath Hotel, then The Victoria, then the Palatine, then Swindell's chippy, then the Smugglers or New Inn, then the Broadway nightclub at the Wilton Lounge.
For a while (late 70s) there was an extra stop - the little bar that opened at the Lord Street corner of the Bowl (now Gala bingo).

Anyone remember its name?

Wilton Lounge, worked there for a while in '78. Worked along side the owner's son, John Lambert :?: Finish work, clear up and head to Forton Services for breakfast,
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby sandgrown » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:15 am

The Cleveland Grill, used to drink all night in the Bath Hotel, then up to the Cleveland near the Battery for their famous mixed grill, then back down to the Central pier, what days !

and going back even further, the Guiness Clock on the prom opposite Skipton st. and of course good old Mobby Dick.

and for a good many years, the Ice Rink at the back near the Cyclone ride.
sandgrown

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Who remembers that second hand car lot that used to be located on Westgate on that land that was latterly used as the car park for the Chicken Factory I'm sure ?

Whoever it was who was the proprietor of that car lot, always strangely used to sponsor the Horwich RMI v Morecambe match !!! (ie, Morecambe's AWAY game at Horwich's Grundy Hill !) :?: :!:
Seasider9601

Postby shrimper » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:54 pm

sandgrown wrote:The Cleveland Grill, used to drink all night in the Bath Hotel, then up to the Cleveland near the Battery for their famous mixed grill, then back down to the Central pier, what days !

and going back even further, the Guiness Clock on the prom opposite Skipton st. and of course good old Mobby Dick.

and for a good many years, the Ice Rink at the back near the Cyclone ride.

It was the only way my mum could keep me well-behaved when she was shopping: "If you're good, I'll take you to watch the Guinness Clock!"
Attachments
guinness clock.jpg
guinness clock.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 pm

sandgrown wrote: and of course good old Mobby Dick.

mobydick2.jpg

mobydick1.jpg
marky No.1

Postby Richard Head » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Two events that i remember being taken to watch were the cross bay swim which i think finished near the stone jetty and the Preston to Morecambe marathon. We lived on Scale Hall then and i remember watching the runners near the old Scale Hall railway station. That passed for entertainment in those days. God knows what year it was
Richard Head

Postby Richard Head » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Dont' think the team did a song for 1966 but there was a song called "World Cup Willy" !

'He's tough as a lion and never will give up, thats why Willy is favourite for the cup'
Richard Head

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion